Creativity & Genre

 Jennifer Lamb

Creativity & Genre (Blog Post 5)

 

 

The importance of creativity/creative process when embarking in a new endeavor in a field ripe with choices is insanely important. If you walk into a new endeavor in a field right with choices with no creativity or creative process at all, you won’t get anywhere in that certain endeavor. In the “Ted Talk” on the Theory of Creativity the guy explained that every time you have a good idea have a note pad near you to write it down, so you don’t forget it, and you’re able to apply those creative ideas to the real life and benefit from it. He also said that naive experts say that when you are trying to solve a challenge, ask others what they think of it so you can have a different perspective on it. There’s plenty of benefits from having different perspectives, for example you can analyze different types of peoples personalities, you can think of others, respect others differences, and correctly reading other people. 

Creativity is a very important thing to have in ones life. In the “New Introductions” activity, it caused me to think outside of the box and think more creatively and make me think about things I've never even thought about. In this describe yourself activity I decided to write about myself in a creative way through a bucket list. In my bucket list one of the things I want to do one day is go back packing through Europe to make new experiences and learn about myself and how I act alone an under pressure to see where I have to go next. I would learn about new cultures and make friends along the way. I would have never thought that I would ever want to go backpacking through Europe until I thought of a bucket list of insane crazy things to do. This activity helped bring out the creativeness of me and helped me think from a different perspective for once. 

In the Gale article “An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life”, Ron is a psychologist that studies and researches in creativity, learning, leadership, and teaching. He states, “Creative self-efficacy is a specific type of creative self-confidence that helps shape more global beliefs about our creative abilities and identity.” He spoke about how this is developed by taking action, making progress, and getting supportive feedback by reliable sources to help each other shape our creative behaviors. He basically explains the whole interview that creativity is very important in the way you think, and the bottom line is if you don’t have creativity in your life then you won’t be as successful.

Creativity may shine through others work by visuals, or certain type of structures or layouts in their articles. I believe that the main image is one of the most important things because that’s what catches the readers eye, and with tons of competition out there with other magazines and social media, its hard nowadays to get people to read magazines. 

My vision for my portfolio is going to be heavy in visuals and lighter with all of the words. My two articles I chose were National Geographic, and Sports Illustrated. I found these two types of articles to be an interesting match together and I wanted to try something different. I chose the genre special interest because I like seeing topics specific to certain people and things being geared towards people who have certain hobbies as each other with similarities and magazines that are widely available to the public globally.

Comments